a Hertie School of Governance (Germany)
a European University Institute (Italy)
Member States as StrategyMaker or StrategyTaker?
Analysing Polish Involvement in the Development of the EU Global Strategy
Polish Political Science Yearbook, volume 45 (2016), p. 337350.
The drafting process of the EU Global Strategy published in June 2016 has differed distinctively from the formulation of the European Security Strategy in 2003 mainly because of its consultative character. The coordination of the process was ensured by the High Representative who brokered between interests of individual Member States. Looking through the lens of deliberative intergovernmentalism, the paper examines patterns and channels of the cooperation between Poland and the EEAS throughout the strategymaking process. It attempts to shed light on the officially repeated claims on the Member States ownership of the document and their active participation in the consultations. The article argues that only with national diplomacies as strategymakers, the document would have a chance to enhance the EUs will to project power in its neighbourhood and beyond. However, the salience of the new strategy among the high political level in the Member States reveals to be crucial for a sustainable contribution to the deliberative policy formulation.
EU Global Strategy; High Representative; Member States, European External Action Service; deliberative intergovernmentalism, EUs foreign policy
- Andersson, J. J., Brattberg, E., Haggqvist, M., Ojanen H., & Rhinard, M. (2011). The European Security Strategy: Reinvigorate, Revise or Reinvent? Stockholm: The Swedish Institute for International Affairs.
- Becher, K. (2004). HasBeen, Wannabe, or Leader: Europes Role in the World After the 2003 European Security Strategy, European Security, 13 (4), 345359, DOI:10.1080/09662830490500008.
- Bickerton, C. J.; Hodson, C. J., & Puetter, U. (2015). The New Intergovernmentalism: European Integration in the PostMaastricht Era, Journal of Common Market Studies 53(4), 703722.
- Bickerton, C. J.; Hodson, D., & Puetter, U.. Eds. (2015a). The New Intergovernmentalism States and Supranational Actors in the PostMaastricht Era. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Buras, P. (2015). Can Poland remain a leader of EU foreign policy? ECFR Commentary. Retrieved from http://www.ecfr.eu/article/commentary_can_poland_remain_a_leader_of_eu_foreign_policy418.
- CieslukGrajewski, M. (2015). Common Security and Defence Policy (CSDP). At a glance. What Think Tanks are thinking. The European Parliament, 20 March 2015. Retrieved from: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/ATAG/2015/550884/EPRS_ATA(2015)550884_EN.pdf.
- CieslukGrajewski, M. (2016). The EUs global strategy. At a glance. What Think Tanks are thinking. The European Parliament, 27 May 2016. Retrieved from: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/ATAG/2016/579317/EPRS_ATA(2016)579317_EN.pdf.
- CieslukGrajewski, M. (2016a). The EUs global role. At a glance. What Think Tanks are thinking. The European Parliament, 7 October 2016. Retrieved from: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/ATAG/2016/589759/EPRS_ATA(2016)589759_EN.pdf.
- Cooper, R. (2015). Evidence Session No. 2. The United Kingdom Parliament, 10 September 2015. Retrieved from: http://data.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/committeeevidence.svc/evidencedocument/euexternalaffairssubcommittee/strategicreviewoftheeusforeignandsecuritypolicy/oral/21502.html.
- Council of the European Union (2016). Council conclusions on the Global Strategy on the European Unions Foreign and Security Policy, 17 October 2016, 13202/16, Brussels.
- Edwards, G. (2013). The EUs foreign policy and the search for effect, International Relations, 27 (3), 276291.
- Eriksen, E.O. (2000). Deliberative supranationalism. In E.O. Eriksen & J.E. Fossum (Eds.) Democracy in the European Union: Integration through Deliberation? (4264). London: Routledge.
- EEAS (2015). The European Union in a changing global environment. A more connected, contested and complex world. EU Global Strategy. The European Union, 25 June 2015. Retrieved from: https://europa.eu/globalstrategy/en/strategicrevieweuropeanunionchangingglobalenvironment.
- EUISS (2016). Towards an EU global strategy Consulting the experts. Institute for Security Studies. Retrieved from: http://www.iss.europa.eu/uploads/media/EUGS_Expert_Opinions.pdf.
- European Council (2016). European Council Conclusions, 27/28 June 2016, EUCO 26/16, Brussels.
- European Council (2013). European Council Conclusions, 19/20 December 2013, EUCO 217/13, Brussels.
- EGS (2013). Towards a European Global Strategy. Securing European influence in a changing world. Polski Instytut Spraw Międzynarodowych. Retrieved from: http://www.pism.pl/files/?id_plik=13792.
- Janning, J. (2016). Poland: Europes unlikely influencer, ECFR Note from Berlin. Retrieved from: http://www.ecfr.eu/article/commentary_poland_europes_unlikely_influencer_7028.
- Kaminska, J. (2014). Poland and EU Enlargement Foreign Policy in Transformation. New York: Palgrave Maximilian.
- Keohane D., Lehne S., Speck U., & Techau J. (2014). A New Ambition for Europe: A Memo to the European Union Foreign Policy Chief. Carnegie Europe. Retrieved from: http://carnegieeurope.eu/publications/?fa=57044.
- Kowal, P. (2015). Key Components of the Polish Position in Regard to the Eastern Policy of the European Union, Myśl Ekonomiczna i Polityczna, 3(50), 341366.
- Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Poland (MFA 2016). Confronting security challenges in the EU neighbourhood a comprehensive approach. Input paper from Poland on the EU Global Strategy on Foreign and Security Policy. (Nonpaper in the possession of the author).
- Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Poland (MFA 2016a). EU Global Strategy on Foreign and Security Policy: The joint input by the V4 countries. (Nonpaper in the possession of the author).
- Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Poland (MFA 2016b). EU Global Strategy: The Eastern Partnership. Food for Thought. (Nonpaper in the possession of the author).
- Mogherini, F. (2016, April, 22) Speech by HR/VP Mogherini at the EUISS Annual Conference, Towards an EU Global Strategy The Final Stage Paris. The European Union. Retrieved from: https://europa.eu/globalstrategy/en/speechhrvpmogherinieuissannualconferencetowardseuglobalstrategyfinalstage.
- Pomorska, K. (2007). The Impact of Enlargement: Europeanization of Polish Foreign Policy? The Hague Journal of Diplomacy, 2, 2551. DOI: 10.1163/187119007X180467.
- Puetter, U. (2012). Europes deliberative intergovernmentalism: the role of the Council and European Council in EU economic governance, Journal of European Public Policy, 19 (2), 161178, DOI: 10.1080/13501763.2011.609743.
- Solana, J. (2009). Ten Years of European Security and Defence Policy, ESDP Newsletter, 9, Retrieved from: https://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cmsUpload/.
- Sus, M. (2014). Polish Role in Shaping the EU Foreign and Security Policy during its Council Presidency in 2011, Yearbook of Polish European Studies, 17, 191208.
- Szczerbiak, A. (2012). Poland within the European Union : the new awkward partner? London: Routledge.
- Techau, J. (2015). The Moral Pitfalls of Foreign Policy Weakness, Carnegie Europe, December. Retrieved from: http://carnegieeurope.eu/strategiceurope/?fa=62131.
- Techau, J. (2016). The EUs New Global Strategy: Useful or Pointless? Carnegie Europe, July. Retrieved from: http://carnegieeurope.eu/strategiceurope/?fa=63994.
- Thomas, D. C. & Tonra, B. (2012). To What Ends EU Foreign Policy? Contending Approaches to the Unions Diplomatic Objectives and Representation, The Hague Journal of Diplomacy, 7, 1129. DOI: 10.1163/187119112X609176.
- Visegrad Group (2015). Bratislava Declaration of the Visegrad Group Heads of Government for a Stronger CSDP. The Visegrad Group. Retrieved from: http://www.visegradgroup.eu/calendar/2015/bratislavadeclaration.
- Waszczykowski, W. (2016). Decyzja Brytyjczyków jest dla Polski niedobra. Interview for Gazeta Wyborcza on 24.06. Retrieved from: http://wyborcza.pl/1,75398,20295764,szefmszwitoldwaszczykowskidlawyborczejdecyzjabrytyjczykow.html.
- Winneker, C. (2016). Federica Mogherini: World needs EU like never before. EU foreign policy chief offers preview of new global strategy for the Union. Politico, 6 June. Retrieved from: http://www.politico.eu/article/mogherinieuforeignpolicystrategysecuritydefense/.
- Interview with Robert Cooper, October 2015
- Interview with an expert from German Institute for International and Security Affairs, November 2015
- Interview with an expert from Centre of Eastern Studies, November 2015
- Interview with an official from Polish MFA, November 2015
- Interview with an official from Polish Bureau for National Security, December 2015
- Interview with an expert from Polish Institute for International Affairs, June 2016
- Interview with an expert from Polish Institute for International Affairs, June 2016
- Interview with an official from Polish MFA, June 2016
Polish Political Science Yearbook
Volume 45 of 2016
REMEMBRANCE AND POLITICAL TRANSITION
Remembrance, Identity Politics and Political Transitions:
A Comparative Study
Joanna MarszałekKawa & Patryk Wawrzyński
Significance of the Social Vision of Great People
in Times of Political Transition
Cultural War and Reinventing the Past in Poland and Hungary:
The Politics of Historical Memory in East-Central Europe
Securitization of Past: Analysis of the Katyń Issue
in the Context of EU Integration
The Unfinished Revolution? The Communist Party of Bohemia
and Moravia in the PostCommunist Reality
PostYugoslav Collective Memory:
Between National and Transnational Myths
Thatcherism Rejected: Scottish Political Myth of Margaret Thatcher
Sites of Memory in Chile and Georgia: Comparative Aspects
Joanna MarszałekKawa & Anna RatkeMajewska
The European Court of Human Rights and Dealing with Nazi and Soviet Past in Central and Eastern Europe: the Special Case of the Holocaust
Aleksandra GliszczyńskaGrabias & Grażyna Baranowska
Decommunisation of the Public Space in Post-Euromaidan Ukraine
South African PostApartheid
Transitional Remembrance Policy (19941999)
Patryk Wawrzyński & Alicja StańcoWawrzyńska
THE STATE OF DEMOCRACY IN POLAND
The State of Democracy in Poland and Europe
The Role of NGOs in the Development of Societies and Overcoming
the Consequences of Crises: Case Studies of Poland and Russia
Elena V. Kucheryavaya
Compensation Liability for Damages Incurred while Exercising Public Authority: a Basic Pillar of Democratic State Ruled by Law
Agata Cebera & Aleksander Wróbel
Political Parties and Trade Unions in the Post-Communist Poland:
Class Politics that Have Never a Chance to Happen
Paweł Kamiński & Patrycja Rozbicka
The 2015 Elections to the Senate of the Republic of Poland
Major Dilemmas and Increasing Dysfunctions
of the Polish Local Government Model on the Basis of an Electoral Law and Metropolitan Act
Shaping Public Space by the Local Community:
Development of Legal Mechanisms
Peace Science Orientation and Reorientation
Cheng Liu & Egon Spiegel
Fundamentalism in the Light of Selected Psychological Concepts
The Aristotelian Criticism of the Liberal Foundations of Modern State
The Consequences of the NagornoKarabakh War for Azerbaijan and Undeniable Reality of Khojaly Massacre: A View from Azerbaijan
Shamkhal Abilov & Ismayil Isayev
PingPong Diplomacy and Its Legacy in the United States
Michał Marcin Kobierecki
The American Military Strategy to Combat the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria: Assumptions, Tactics and Effectiveness
Member States as Strategy-Maker or Strategy-Taker? Analysing Polish Involvement in the Development of the EU Global Strategy
POLITICS IN THE POSTMODERN WORLD
Political Dimension of Welsh Identity after Devolution: Fact or Fiction?
Bartłomiej H. Toszek
Right to the City as a New Paradigm
within the Concept of Human Security
OPINIONS & REPORTS
International Law and the NagornoKarabakh War:
Opinion on Political Aspects
Sadir Surkhay Mammadov
The New Journalism: an Attempt at the Model Reconstruction
The Political Leadership Section of the Polish Political Science Association
Agnieszka TurskaKawa, Rafał Glajcar & Waldemar Wojtasik
Debating Rapa Nui in Poland
Debating the Electoral Law in Poland
Introducing Polish History to Understand Polands Present
An Alternative for the International Order: The Chinese Perspective
Rebalancing of power. The case of Chinas global strategy
The Polish Perspective on Japanese Politics and Society
The Identity of Security Studies
Can Poland Respond to the Terrorist Menace?
Europeanization and Polands Foreign Policy: the First Decade
Number of visitors: